The Bank of New Cambria opened for business on March 25, 1933. It was organized after the two banks in New Cambria failed in January 1933 during the depression. The failed banks, the New Cambria State Bank (organized in 1892) and the Farmers and Merchants Bank (organized in 1907) were both community owned banks. The community came together and formed the Bank of New Cambria. The new bank opened in the old State Bank building. The bank staff was Sam Killam, Cashier; B.J. Billeter, Asst. Cashier; J. Bert Jones, President; E. W. Embleton, Vice-President; I.M. Cole, F.A. Wood, L.M. Thomas, Tom James and J.C. Branscomb were directors.
In 1965, a new bank building was built adjacent to its old building and was opened in November of that year. Staff and the board at that time were D.T. James, President; H.J. Gilleland, Vice President; George Harris, Cashier; Calista Dunham and George Harris, Cashiers and Directors; Bob Thomas, Assistant Cashier; Janet Dorr, Teller; Dorothy Saltsider, Clerk; Esther Belfield and Beulah Wood, Bookkeepers; Merton Cole, Secretary; and Charles Lampe and J. Bert Jones board members. The new building was 5,000 square feet with a bookkeeping room, cashier’s office, lounge, two restrooms, a janitor’s room, copy room, and a basement with a kitchenette. It had a night depository, and was gas heated and had air conditioning. In 1976, a drive up window was added for convenience.
That bank building served the public until 1999. The board felt the need to build on to their facility to accommodate the growth of the bank as well as their customers. 1,326 square foot was added to the present building, a drive up ATM and night-drop were added, as well as three new offices to better serve their loan customers. The bank held an open house celebrating their new expansion in May 1999. At that time the staff consisted of: Lowell R. (Bob) Thomas, President & CEO; Linda Maddox, Vice-President & Asst. CEO; Sharon Duncan, Cashier; Donald Meissen, Senior Loan Officer; Larry Duncan, Agriculture Representative; Doris Thomas, Teller; Glenda Wood, Bookkeeping Supervisor; Amy Jobson, Bookkeeper and Lisa Shoemaker, part-time Bookkeeper. The directors were Charles Lampe, Chairman of the Board; David T. James, Vice-Chairman; Calista Dunham, Secretary; Eldon Jones, Kenneth Morris, Lowell R. Thomas and Donald Meissen, members.
In July 1999, Lowell R. Thomas retired from the bank but remained a member of the board of directors. Linda Maddox and Donald Meissen were named the new co-managers of the Bank of New Cambria. Mrs. Maddox was also appointed as an advisory member of the board at that time.
During the spring of 2002, numerous customers and friends of the Bevier community approached the Bank of New Cambria about the financial needs of the Bevier area. The board of directors and the co-management of the Bank of New Cambria recognized the vital role a financial institution plays in any community. When the site at the junction of Hwy 36 and State Hwy C became available, the board purchased this piece of property and built a beautiful 3,456 square foot brick building. This state-of-the-art, modern facility houses a full service branch offering traditional banking services. It is equipped with a drive up window, ATM, night deposit drop and safe deposit boxes.
The staff of the branch consists of Melinda Masten, Branch Manager & Loan Officer; Kylie McDowell, CSR/Teller, Annette Swetnam, Teller and Marilyn Foster, Teller.
The current staff at the main office include: Donald Meissen, President & CEO; Sharon Duncan, Vice-President & Cashier; Jesse Jobson, IT Manager/Operations; Tena Levett, Teller; and Taylor Teeter, Loans/Operations.
The current board of directors is Lindsay Littrell, Chairman; Linda Maddox, Vice-Chairman, Sharon Duncan, Secretary; other members include: Derek James, Kenny Morris, Kendra Swee and Donald Meissen. Patty Cheever and Taylor Teeter serve as advisory members to the board.